Tuesday, August 12, 2008

wow the book works


Yesterday morning Jude got up just as Greg was about to leave for work. He had slept from about 9pm to about 8am. (yes this is amazing we know). Greg stayed to change his diaper and gave me a sec to wake up before going. I fed the baby. Jude then seemed content and cuddly, and awake. We went downstairs and Jude chilled in his bouncer for a bit while I started coffee and got out cereal.

Dr Weissbluth's book "healthy sleep habits, happy child" http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Sleep-Habits-Happy-Child/dp/0449004023 says to watch for signs of sleepyness in your child after they've been awake for about an hour. Signs include rubbing his eyes, yawning, staring off into the middle distance. I saw one yawn at one point, but then no more.
If you don't see the signs the book says to put the child down for a nap anyway, two hours after they woke up. Jude was not showing obvious signs of tiredness. But about an hour after he woke up cute little baby just started crying and fussing in his bouncer in the kitchen while I was doing dishes. I looked at him and thought 'you are tired' even though he wasn't showing any other 'signs'.

I took him upstairs, changed him into the swaddle and turned on the crib mobile. He was asleep in two minutes. Its so nice to feel like I can help my baby be happier. And I never would have thought 'hmm... i bet he wants to sleep again after sleeping all night' without the expert input. thanks Dr. Weissbluth!

No comments:

Post a Comment