Friday, August 8, 2008

MRSA mommy 2, Jude 0

Normally I wouldn't publish details that just affect mom, but my doctors say my issue is affecting lots of people now. Maybe this post will help you too. It also explains the drought of blog posts last week.

Mom & baby



I'm now almost recovered from my second MRSA infection since the beginning of July. MRSA is a staph infection that's resistant to the most common antibiotics (any that end in --cillen).
Here's what I've learned in case you are curious or you find yourself facing MRSA:

--MRSA makes a normal cut get very, very angry

--Doctors take a swab of your cut. A lab can test it for MRSA- it takes 5 days

--Mommy is allergic to Bactrim, the most popular antibiotic to treat MRSA. You will know you are allergic too if you turn red like a lobster all over, your lips swell like Angelina Jolie's, and you get a fever.

--The allergic reaction goes away after a few rough days on 2 Benedryls every 6 hours.

--Once you get a second MRSA they have you use an antiseptic cleanser to kill any MRSA that might somehow be hanging around on your skin. This should mean I don't get any more.

All in all...MRSA is bad. You should avoid it :-) But apparently it is around in the community and lots of people are picking it up. Baby Jude is fine, despite my repeated, worried phone calls with his doctor as I got diagnosed.

Jude rolls to his side

Jude handled all the doctor visits with mommy like a trouper. And he looked great at his two month check up last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment