Monday, March 1, 2010

why i hate the garage

I have a confession. I've come to hate our garage. Yes, its a safe, dry place for our cars and yard equipment to sleep during the winter. But it is also a source of tears and frustration to my toddler. You see he loves the garage. It houses his favorite play things. Mr. Shovel, the wagon, Mrs Broom and the new favorite, Mr. Snow blower.

jude out for a stroll
I know his dad is slightly bummed that the electric snow blower we own is actually light enough that a child can push it. I think Greg would prefer a larger, more powerful tool. But when its unplugged, loves to take it for walks.

just try and keep up mom

So here is why I hate the garage. Every time we go near the garage, go outside our home, or head to the car to go anywhere, Jude wants to play with the items in the garage. He makes the more sign with his hands. This often leads to tears and sometimes the dreaded arching his back to avoid the car seat straps. He holds out hope that this moment is the one where we will stop and play with them.

how much are you paying me for this job again?

At first it was cute. Little Jude loves the shovel, wow! Our 20-month-old would happily drag one down the sidewalk, snow or no snow, it didn't matter.

I love my shovel
But now he has to find one shovel and then a second shovel. But its not so he can push them. No this is so mom can push them, both of them at once. Even where there is no snow in sight.
So this is why the garage is no longer my friend.
Dear garage, let's hope you become a place of happiness, and no more tears, again soon.






1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing, but at the same time, I understand your pain deeply. Oh, toddlerhood...

    ReplyDelete