Friday, May 18, 2012

God's Fingerprint on the dinosaur pinata

So a few weeks back I asked mister jude what kind of birthday party he would like.  the little man turns four at the end of may.  He decided to have a dinosaur party, specifically a Triceratops party.  I laughed but was happy to have something to start from because I love party planning.  But this year's party will be different.

triceratops is tops for me!

First of all I think he's finally old enough that jude's birthday can no longer be an excuse for mom to invite her friends and kids to have a social time. This year its a smaller group of pals jude regularly sees or talks about.

Second, stay-at-home mommying doesn't pay well.  wesome dad's newer company is holding its own, its holding our purse strings pretty tight at home.  So i started praying for ways to have this party in a way we can afford.  I am one of those people who prays, not just in times of trouble or only for sick friends, but on a regular basis.  and this is where the story gets cool.

back in december I received a duplicate christmas gift from a fancy cooking store.  with my store credit i picked up a flowery apron (cause every modern mom needs one), a new cookie sheet and two dinosaur cookie cutters on sale.  I'd forgotten about them until after jude picked his party.  But yes, they are triceratops.

 prehistorically perfect  for making party treats


Then I went to the dollar store to see if they might have a small party favor to fit our small budget.  They had two bags of tiny dinosaurs...triceratops.  I also picked up a larger t-rex and triceratops to pose on top of his cake.

I resumed my tradition of making numbered birthday shirts after skipping #3 while super pregnant with harry.  I found an old sample pack of printer papers in our basement and whipped up an iron on transfer triceratops.  I knew harry had a dinosaur explorer outfit in orange and green, so i put jude's green dinosaur on one of his orange  t-shirts.  I was feeling pretty good about this budget party bash.

Then this happened yesterday.  At target jude got a burst of energy to explore.  he was in such a good mood.  our walk led past the party aisle. i forget target even had one.  and guess what we found.

perfect pinata in our party colors

that's right- triceratops, a pinata in the colors of the boy's outfits i've already made.  i felt like it was such a nice moment from God of I hear you, thanks for praying, trust me.


and lord knows i need to keep trusting and praying.  raising two boys is among the hardest things i've ever done.  their energy, noise, tears, mess is overwhelming for a mom who genuinely enjoys private quiet moments in days that no longer have them.

let's play pan lid cymbals again harry

I've apparently been too vocal in my Lord help me make it, help me handle this prayers.  yes, i say those words out loud in crisis with the kids.   Something spilled and jude turns and says to the sky, God, help my mommy make it.  Cute and made me pause at the same time.

I hope you are making it today. the small but now awesome party is next week. i'll post pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment