Monday, April 18, 2011

to sandbox or not to sandbox

I am finding there are two camps in the sandbox world. I come down squarely in the 'big fan' camp. It is one of the few activities where Jude will play self-contained, by himself for 30 minutes or even an hour. He loves the mini construction site we've created in his backyard with diggers, loaders and shovels.

messy but worth it?
But I am discovering the other camp. I wonder if my observation holds up. It seems almost every mom I talk to who works outside the home is quick to say 'sandboxes are really messy.' (ie not worth it). There is one nanny on our block who told me the parents informed her that the sand needed to stay inside the sandbox and not spill over. For those of us new sandbox veterans, we realize some spillover, dumping and even tossing is par for the course. My sandbox survival plan includes the following: extra pants and baby wipes handy right inside the back door. I keep a big Tupperware bin handy. It gets filled with water to wash off his hands. Socks, shoes and pants come off when we come inside for a fresh, cleaner set. To me the sandbox payoff is worth it: I get to keep an eye on him while making dinner or checking my email. He has a great time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in your camp. Hey - if it keeps your child busy for half an hour and he's not hurting himself, it's worth the extra mess. By the way, if you haven't already, try filling an underbed storage container with dried beans. It makes a great indoor sandbox on days when the weather's uncompliant.

    ReplyDelete