Monday, March 30, 2009

he's more of a vowel guy


I love my husband Greg for the way he reassures me when I read one too many baby books that tell me about which developmental level my child should have reached by now.
The latest was a book last night that said "we expect that your child will be using d's & m's, saying mama and dada indiscriminately" Well, Jude is doing lots of great things... banging toys together, scooting around, and babbling almost as if in response to questions. But he is not using those sounds. I struggled with that deep, nagging worry that maybe something is wrong with him. (this may sound hilarious if you are not in the early child years).
When I shared my story and my struggle with not being concerned, with Greg he said "Jude is more of a vowels guy. He's not a consonant man."
I had to laugh and remember that my child is loved....and loved by God even more than the huge amount of love we have for him. He will grow up just fine and soon enough i think i'll wish he didn't learn my name, mama, so he would stop calling for me all the time :-)

1 comment:

  1. Jude doesn't sound behind to me. For what it's worth, I've read some of those books and they only drive you crazy. If it helps, try to remember that all kids are advanced in some ways, average in many, and behind in others. It's so easy to let our worth get wrapped up in what our kids can or can't do. But you're right; we need to keep coming back to the knowledge that they are loved by God and so are we.

    Great picture, btw.

    ReplyDelete